So the stupid play is continuing.
I can’t understand how a guy can make it to the majors without being able to catch a ball.
- Second inning: Albert Pujols hits a fly ball to the wall in right Alen Hanson is there in time, jumps and misses the ball, turning an out into a double (would have been a triple if is wasn’t Albert running. Not called an error because….well I don’t know, because it was played so badly the ball didn’t hit the glove. Next batter, Kole Calhoun homers.
- Two batters later, Luis Rengifo hits a fly to left. Very catchable. But Teoscar misses it. He does pick it up quick enough to throw to third but Brandon Drury doesn’t make the catch and it is a triple.
- Fifth inning, two on. Andrelton Simmons singles in front of Hanson. Hanson comes running in and doesn’t pick up the ball. Hard to believe:
- Sixth inning: A high popup to short left field landing between 3 fielders, but Teoscar should have caught it but he stopped running before it hit the ground. It was his ball and he should have taken charge.
Aaron Sanchez wasn’t good. He wasn’t helped by his defense, but he was getting hit hard. 4 innings, 9 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned (really 3 earned), 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. He threw a ton of pitches and left the game after the fourth inning at 89 pitches. He is going to have to start throwing strikes again. He has a 3.09 ERA but it is only that low by some sort of magic.
The bullpen did the job:
- Tim Mayza: 1.2 clean innings.
- Sam Gaviglio: 1.1, 2 hits, 1 Mike Trout home run, 1 k.
- Ken Giles: 1 inning, 1 k.
On offense, once again we got off to a slow start. Our first hit came in the 5 inning. By then we were down 5-0.
In all we had 6 hits. Our runs scored:
- In the fifth: Brandon Drury doubled to lead off the inning. Rowdy Tellez singled to give us runners on the corners. And Teoscar ground out, driving in the run.
- In the sixth: Eric Sogard walked and scored on a Randal Grichuk double.
No Jays of the Day, Tellez had the high mark at .060 WPA.
Suckage: Sanchez (-.251), Drury (-.099). And let’s give one to Hanson and Hernandez for the crappy outfield defense.
We had 511 comments in the GameThread. DangYouToHeck led the way.